Horror snake bite: Girl's leg shrivels into black stick

Pic: Instagram
The 13-year old  was bitten by a snake and was treated with remedies from the culture she belongs to, MailOnline reported.
A month later she was taken to a hospital in Carcass where they discovered the venom caused severe necrosis – the premature death of cells.
Dr Arun Ghosh, a private GP in Liverpool, said, “Snake venom is very complicated and depends on the species of snake.
“The whole lower leg is black, it’s spreading up. Looking at the rest of her body she’s showing signs of muscle wastage from the poison. Her other leg is thin. It's likely she will still die.”
The bite caused a laceration to the artery in her leg and the resulting bleeding led to what's known as ‘compartment syndrome'.
The picture shows clearly severe tissue necrosis that will need amputation.
Necrosis leads to a condition called rhabdomyolysis, in which muscle tissue will begin to die throughout the body.
“It can damage kidneys, which coupled with low blood pressure, can lead to kidney failure and even death if left untreated", he said.
This is a serious condition when pressure within a compartment such as the leg causes a decrease in blood supply to the affected muscles.

0 comments: