Can we see new park this year?

Can we see new park this year?
A reader says he is eagerly waiting for the completion of the Swarovski-themed Sparkle Towers at Dubai Marina. Above, an artist's impression.    
I was excited to see the images of the planned theme park in Dubai, which you have posted on Facebook (Swarovski-themed Sparkle Towers at Dubai Marina). However, I wonder whether it would be completed before the end of the year. It’s still just a big hole in the ground. I think even the end of next year would be overly ambitious.
Gavin McKessock, Dubai
It’s time to rethink over the role of help in family
I am writing in reference to the opinion article We are too reliant on maids in the UAE and that has to change (October 15). I was surprised to hear that people had maids and nannies when I arrived in the UAE. I raised my four kids all by myself and cleaned my house, usually on the weekends, as I had a full time job. So, I am not sure why people need maids or nannies, unless you can’t clean your own house or raise your children.
Diane Monet Nobles, Abu Dhabi
Family bonds are very special, which I think can only be fostered by hands-on parenting. My only issue is that the UAE is lacking in infrastructure to support working families. We had to hire someone to help us full-time because I couldn’t find a single nursery school to accommodate my son in the afternoon.
I am one of the lucky few women who has managed to find a part-time job, but I sometimes have to work in the afternoon. If had been possible for us to hire a part timer, I would have done just that – hired a child minder solely for the hours I needed support. The UAE needs to take a more progressive stance on working families, because people in my position wouldn’t then be forced into a situation where they need help.
Cassie Hills, Dubai
It’s an interesting article. The situation is the same in India, where domestic help is changing the entire family system in some ways. For instance, children become more attached to their helpers than their parents, and for good reason. But I also don’t see much of this changing with the ever increasing financial pressure and both parents having to work.
Shikha Jain, India
I am writing a thesis about the link between mothers’ involvement in their children’s education and the children’s success in school. It’s very important not to leave the job of raising kids to uneducated maids.
Samantha Attfield, Dubai
Thank you for the well-written piece. It is a sad reality and one that has become increasingly prevalent in the Arab world. While visiting malls, restaurants and schools, I often observe how family members interact with one another.
There is a clear disconnect between family members while family responsibilities seem to have become blurred. The concept of “quality family time” no longer seems to exist and priorities are mixed. Irrespective of how hectic one’s lifestyle is, there are ground rules to effective parenting and managing one’s own household. Many parents realise their family’s dysfunctional state too late.
I have one helper whom I love. However, her interaction and involvement is limited, especially when if comes to child rearing and family affairs. Help should be a support mechanism and not the backbone of one’s family.
Jumana Darwish Nouri, Dubai
Speed is the main problem in UAE
In reference to the news report More reckless drivers on roads, motorists say (October 16), I have witnessed worse driving in India. However, the number of accidents is relatively fewer, because people cannot drive as fast as they do in the UAE, where the maximum speed limit is too high. Even in residential areas, people drive at 80kph. In Australia and Europe, drivers are fined heavily and even lose their licence when they go faster than 50kph. In some towns and cities, 40kph is the maximum limit.
Brigitte von Bulow, Abu Dhabi
India should invest in innovation
I agree with the writer of the letter Children’s plight in India is painful (October 13) that many children in India do not get the chance to enjoy their childhood as they have to bear the burden of family commitments.
The government, as well as various social organisations, need to formalise plans to offer young people a bright future. However, India’s expedition to Mars cannot be contrasted to this reality, because the country needs to innovate for the benefit of its future generations.

0 comments:

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Checker